Is your dream home situated along a riverfront with a clear view of the sun setting? Or how about an acreage where the kids can have a dog? Or having only a 20-minute commute from work? Or is it just being able to afford a home? Buchanan County offers its residents a diverse population of housing options, from rental to purchase. Local communities have offered incentives for those planning to build, buy or renovate residential properties.
We have put together a list of Rental Housing & Realtors in the area.
Housing Needs Study
Housing is an important resource for all communities. In 2016, Buchanan County Economic Development Commission (BCEDC) along with the communities of Buchanan County commissioned a housing study through Iowa Northland Regional Council of Governments (INRCOG). This study identified the specific housing needs of each community and provides a plan as well as Financial Programs and Funding Resources to help meet these housing needs. The study was completed in November 2017. The study found that by 2020, there is a need for 464 more housing units in Buchanan County. We are now into 2021 and though we have made progress, the need for additional housing throughout the county is still strong.
This study was conducted using the collection of data from a variety of sources. The data illustrate both the historic and current housing conditions in Buchanan County. Using this data, historic trends were identified and forecasts were developed to project the anticipated housing demand of the county. Buchanan County has had consistent population growth since 1990 and that growth is projected to continue far into the future. As the population grows, the household size is actually shrinking within the county creating an even greater need for additional housing. The executive summary of Buchanan County Housing Needs Study provides an excellent overview of the entire study. Please see below for the housing study results for each community.
A study of this magnitude must take much into consideration to be able to provide an accurate picture of what has happened, what is happening now and what will need to happen in the future regarding the housing sector of Buchanan County. Please see below for the reports that show the methodology used in each of the following areas: Physical Attributes, Population & Demographics, Economic Considerations, Housing Characteristics, and Household & Housing Projections.
- Executive Summary
- Physical Attributes
- Population & Demographics
- Economic Considerations
- Housing Characteristics
- Household & Housing Projections
- Aurora || Results || Profile
- Brandon || Results || Profile
- Fairbank || Results || Profile
- Hazleton || Results || Profile
- Independence || Results || Profile
- Jesup || Results || Profile
- Lamont || Results || Profile
- Quasqueton || Results || Profile
- Rowley || Results || Profile
- Stanley || Results || Profile
- Winthrop || Results || Profile
- Program & Funding Resources
Iowa Economic Development
- Workforce Housing Tax Credit
- Redevelopment Tax Credits Programs for Brownfield and Grayfield Sites
- Community Development Block Grant Housing Rehabilitation Program
- Nuisance Property and Abandoned Building Remediation Loan Program
Iowa Finance Authority (IFA)
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)