Why Old Places Matter
Well maintained historic downtowns, sites and homes create a sense of pride in communities as well as tourist attractions. The Buchanan County Historic Preservation Commission in partnership with Buchanan County Economic Development, the Independence Area Chamber of Commerce and the Buchanan County Historical Society is sponsoring Why Old Places Matter: A Historic Preservation Workshop.
If you are considering placing your building, site or home on the National Register of Historic Places, you need to attend this workshop!
The workshop is being held Saturday, October 26th from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Heartland Acres Agribition Center in Independence, IA. This workshop hosts high caliber speakers in the preservation field and they will address pertinent topics.
Topics and speakers are as follows:
- Why Historic Preservation? Paula Mohr, Local Historic Preservation Coordinator, State Historic Preservation Office
- The Basics of the National Register of Historic Places, Laura Sadowsky, National Register Coordinator, State Historic Preservation Office
- Historic Window Rehabilitation, Terry Philips, TK Enterprises
- Masonry Restoration, Kyle Martin, AIA, Martin Gardner Architecture
As part of the registration fee participants will be provided a catered lunch as well as the opportunity to take a self-guided tour of Heartland Acres Agribition Center which is donating the use of their facility for this workshop.
Cost is $30 if registered by Monday, October 21st. Registration after the 21st is $40.
* Make check payable to Buchanan County Historical Society (please put Historic Preservation Workshop in the memo line)
* Mail to BCEDC, P.O. 109, Independence, Iowa 50644.
Click to download Registrations Form: Historic Preservation Workshop Registration Form
Questions? Contact: LeAnne Harris, Buchanan County Historical Society, email@example.com, 319-334-4506
George Lake, Buchanan County Economic Development, firstname.lastname@example.org 319-334-7497