Buchanan County, Iowa is not all about hard work in business and education. There are plenty of recreational opportunities to fill free time. The Wapsipinicon River runs southeast through the hearts of the cities of Fairbank, Independence and Quasqueton. ( Wapsi River Trail Buchanan County) This natural asset makes it a “hot spot” for summer and winter activities. Along the river are several campgrounds, trails for all activities, boat access, golf courses, an amphitheater, and the banks plays host to the Annual 4th of July Celebration in Independence.
Additional sites to visit include the Old Order Amish communities in the northwest part of the county, south of Hazleton visit the Fontana Nature Center, the Walter Home at Cedar Rock State Park, a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home near Quasqueton, and many parks throughout the county.
Independence is home to the historic Illinois Central Depot , which is home to the Buchanan County Tourism and Visitor’s Center, the Wapsipinicon Mill, Lee Mansion, Heartland Acres Agribition Center and the Buchanan County Fair! There are many other unique spots to visit along the way in Buchanan County and the Cedar Valley. There are also dozens of hometown diners, cafes, bar & grills, pizzerias, and franchise restaurants in every town, so stop into the local Chamber of Commerce for a list of each town’s favorite spots. For your visiting friends, family and business associates there are various lodging opportunities from national chain hotels to quaint bed and breakfasts along the Wapsipinicon River.
If you are looking for something more recreational, there are also various facilities in the county, including camping, public swimming pools, public and private exercise facilities. Iowa weather allows for a variety of year round activities. The summer is normally hot and humid, and the Wapsipinicon River becomes a great place to cool off with boating, fishing, kayaking and canoeing. Other great summer activities include golf, sand volleyball, softball and of course going for a walk or bike ride throughout the county is always a possibility with the variety of bike paths along designated streets, highways and trails. Many communities also offer organized recreational programs for all ages. The 30 inches of average snowfall each winter allows for winter activities along the Wapsipinicon River such as ice fishing, cross-country skiing and snowmobiling.
- Northeast Iowa Visitors Guide: Visit Iowa
- Buchanan County Tourism Facebook Page
- Buchanan County Historical Society
- Independence Chamber of Commerce
- Jesup Chamber of Commerce
- Jesup Farmer’s Day
- Wapsi River Trail Buchanan County
County Conservation Board
- Amish Area Business Map
- Independence Motor Speedway
- Heartland Acres Agribition Center
- R.A.S.H. Ride
- Buchanan County Fair
- Quasqueton Historical Society
- Art Under the Oaks
Buchanan County Community Celebrations
- Aurora – Enjoy the annual Fourth of July tractor pull and Christmas in Aurora
- Brandon – Celebrate Brandon Days and the Cowboy Breakfast
- Fairbank – Get a taste of the Islands in June at Island Days
- Hazleton – Find your treasures at Haze Days in June
- Independence – Fourth of July celebration, Independence Brew-B-Q and much more
- Jesup – Celebrate small-town life at the Farmer’s Day Celebration
- Lamont – Fireworks in August at Lamont Days
- Quasqueton – Year-long list of activities in Quasky
- Rowley – Celebrate Rowley Days in July
- Stanley – Enjoy an Ice Cream Social in August
- Winthrop – Funnel Cakes and Fireworks in June at Funnel Cake Days
Economic Impact of Tourism on Iowa and Buchanan County
- Tourism impact by County 2017 summary
- Tourism impact by County 2017 Full Report
- International visitors to Iowa 2017
- For Buchanan County Tourism by-laws click TOURISM BYLAWS
Read the Buchanan County Visitor’s Guide!
Read the Buchanan County Fact Book!